WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (December 3, 2018) – Virginia State University senior forward Jahmere Howze led the way for the Trojans securing 20 points and six rebounds tonight to lift the Trojans to a 95-67 victory over Piedmont International University. VSU improves to 5-3 on the year, while the Bruins fall to 4-7 overall.
– VSU shot 56.7 percent from the field; Piedmont International shot 29.6 percent
– Virginia hit 11 triples (47.8 percent); PIU knocked down eight threes on 34.8 percent shooting
– The Trojans were 8-for-13 at the free throw line while the Bruins were 17-for-21
– VSU held a 41-30 rebounding advantage
– Virginia State started the contest with a 24-12 lead with 10:50 left in the half
– The Trojans continued to adds points make the score 34-14 over the next four minutes
– VSU pushed the lead to 28 at the 4:10 mark
– Jahmere Howze free throws gave VSU a 44-16 lead with four minutes left in the half
– Piedmont International added its final basket of the half from the free throw line at the 00:03 second mark
– VSU took at 56-26 lead at the half
– Cedric Wiggins scored the first six points for Virginia State to give a 33 point lead into the second half
– A Jahmere Howze layup gave VSU a 71-36 lead at the 13:59 mark
– A Jalen Jackson basket gave the Trojans a 93-65 edge with 1:06 remaining
– VSU finished the half with a 95-67 victory
The Trojans will return to action on Tuesday, December 11th as they travel to Orangeburg, South Carolina for its first Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association contest against the Panthers of Claflin University. Tip-off is slated for 7:30 p.m. at Jonas T. Kennedy Health & Physical Education Center.
For the most up-to-date information on VSU men’s basketball please visit www.govsutrojans.com and follow Trojans Athletics on Twitter @VSUsports.