title image via Tim Rice
Courtesy of Steven Kramer, Coppin State Athletics
Coppin St. 0-4,0-0 MEAC
Louisville 2-1,0-0 ACC
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Justin Winston notched his first career double-double with a game-high 13 points with ten rebounds as Coppin State’s men’s basketball team fell at Louisville, 61-41 on Wednesday night at KFC Yum! Center. The Eagles fell to 0-4 while the Cardinals improved to 2-1.
A redshirt senior from West Orange, N.J., Winston was the only Eagles player in double figures while freshman Khali Horton went for a season-high nine points with a pair of threes. Greg Spurlock added six points, followed by Malik Battle with five and both Toto Fagbenle and Preist Ryanwith four. Fagbenle added five rebounds and two blocks.
Louisville outshot Coppin, 39.3% to 28.1% but the Eagles held their own on the boards, trailing just 45 to 33 in that regard. Both teams committed 15 turnovers with CSU holding the advantage in points off turnovers (17-12), second chance points (10-7) and bench points (26-16).
How it Happened
- Fagbenle gave Coppin the lead out of the gate with a jumper, and following a pair of Louisville free throws, Spurlock and Battle recorded buckets to give the Eagles a 6-2 advantage.
- The Cardinals responded with seven-straight points to take their first lead of the game before Battle tied the score at nine with a three at the 14:18 mark.
- After trading points, Louisville hit back-to-back threes and added a pair of free throws to take a 19-11 lead with just under ten minutes remaining.
- Winston came right back with a jumper before Horton hit a three and added another bucket to get Coppin to within a points with 6:30 remaining in the period.
- Louisville closed the half on a 13-3 run to take a 32-21 lead into the break.
- Fagbenle opened the second with a pair of free throws to get the Eagles to within nine, but that was as close as they got the rest of the way.
Up Next: Coppin will make a short trip North to play in the Miami Classic, hosted by Miami Ohio on November 17-18. The Eagles will take on the host Redhawks on Friday at 7:00 pm, followed by Eastern Illinois on Saturday afternoon.
Next Game: at Miami (OH) 11/17/2023 | 7:00 pm