Courtesy of Brian Howard Grambling State Athletic Communications
BATON ROUGE, La.| Jayden James hit .231 and finished with a team-high 17 kills, along with 10 digs to complete the double-double as the Grambling State University volleyball team made it a perfect weekend with a 3-0 victory over rival Southern in Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) play on Monday night at Seymour Gymnasium.
Grambling State, which swept Alcorn State to open SWAC play on Sunday, held off a late charge by Southern to take the first set, 25-22, and added a 2-0 advantage with a 25-19 win in the second set. The Lady Tigers (5-7 overall, 2-0 SWAC) completed the three-set sweep with a 25-21 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Grambling State jumped out to a 4-0 advantage after a kill by Haley Gomez
- Southern (0-14, 0-2) closed the gap to 6-5 after a an attacking error by Ana Calderon
- A kill by Kai Williams extended GSU’s lead to 14-9
- The Lady Tigers pushed the margin to 20-13 after a Jayden James kill
- The Jaguars rallied, cutting the deficit to 23-22 off a Williams error
- However, Grambling State scored the next two points to win the set, 25-22
- Much like the opening set, GSU raced out to a 8-2 lead after a service ace by Gomez, forcing Southern to call a timeout
- The Lady Tigers extended the margin to a 12-5 off a kill by Williams to give GSU a 12-5 advantage
- Grambling State led 18-11, but Southern used a furious rally to close the gap to 20-18
- The Lady Tigers closed out the set by scoring five out of the next six points to earn a 25-19 victory
- The Lady Tigers came out on fire, jumping out to a 7-1 advantage to force SU to call a timeout
- Back came the Jaguars, cutting the deficit to 9-7
- A kill by Maggie Plush gave GSU a 14-12 lead
- The Lady Tigers took advantage of an attacking error to extend the margin to 23-19
- Southern never got any closer as GSU completed the three-set sweep with a 25-21 win
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Grambling State finished with 37 kills in 117 total attacks, with 29 errors
- The Lady Tigers registered 57 digs, 34 assists, eight service aces and 5.0 total team blocks
- Jayden James recorded 17 kills and 10 digs
- Kai Williams added seven kills and 11 digs
- Ana Calderon dished out 19 assists
- Hillary English tallied 13 assists and six digs
- Defensively, Nyah Ellis posted 16 digs
- Southern finished with 20 kills in 103 total attacks, with 16 errors
- The Jaguars recorded 43 digs, 16 assists and 12.0 total team blocks
- Jordan Felix led the offense with five kills and 10 digs
- Kyla Carrier added eight assists
- Trinity Lundy tallied 10 digs
Grambling State returns to the Fredrick C. Hobdy Assembly Center for back-to-back SWAC matches, starting on Sunday against Prairie View A&M. First serve against the Panthers is set for 5:30 p.m.
FOLLOW GRAMBLING STATE ATHLETICS
For complete coverage of Grambling State athletics, please follow the Tigers on social media at @GSU_Tigers (Twitter), /GramblingStateTigers1901 (Facebook), @gramblingathletics (Instagram) or visit the official home of Grambling State Athletics at gsutigers.com.
Prairie View A&M
10/2/2022 | 5:30 p.m.