The New Balance Foundation has pledged two million dollars in an effort to help mitigate the negative effects that COVID-19 has had on various locales. Below is a release from the Foundation:
BOSTON, MA – March 24, 2020 – Boston-based New Balance Foundation today announced it has committed $2 million in non-profit grants in response to the COVID-19 pandemic to support local, regional and global communities. “We firmly believe it is our civic duty to support our communities in need around the world,” said Anne Davis, managing trustee New Balance Foundation. “As we witness the growing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are inspired by the acts of humanity, kindness and compassion that have emerged in support of one another during this health crisis. Guided by our values, NB Foundation will remain generous, flexible and responsive recognizing the uncertainty created by these challenging times.”These funds will be allocated to the following organizations’ COVID-19 response efforts and relief funds:
- Global Giving, the largest global crowd-funding community, connecting nonprofits, donors and companies in nearly every country. The New Balance Foundation has granted $200,000 to support immediate and long-term relief and recovery in vulnerable communities worldwide.
- No Kid Hungry, which sends emergency grants to food banks and local community groups across the United States. It works to feed kids in the hardest-hit communities and ensures families know how to find food while schools are closed, so children can eat three meals a day. The New Balance Foundation has granted $100,000.
- The Boston Resiliency Fund, Groundwork Lawrence, Good Shepherd Food Bank in Maine and the St. Louis Area Foodbank will each receive a $50,000 New Balance Foundation grant, reflecting the regional communities where New Balance associates live and work.
- Select organizations from New Balance Foundation’s network of more than 60 grantees around the world, which support children and families with a focus on health, nutrition, education and physical activity, will receive a combined total of $1.5 million in additional New Balance Foundation COVID-19 grants.
- New Balance associates in the U.S., Canada and UK can participate in the company’s corporate match program, which steers corporate charitable dollars to qualifying non-profit organizations that are meaningful to associates.
P As an American Red Cross Disaster Responder Partner since 2012, New Balance Foundation’s annual donation of $500,000 helps ensure the Red Cross is prepared to respond in times of crisis. The American Red Cross is currently supporting emergency assistance and blood donation efforts in response to COVID-19.The $2 million commitment is in addition to the approximately $7 million in New Balance Foundation grants that were already planned as part of the Foundation’s regular annual giving for 2020. “Now, more than ever, our communities need our support.” continued Davis. “Through our NB Foundation, we have the ability to make a difference for those most in need. By taking a strategic grassroots approach, we believe we will serve our local, regional and global communities in a meaningful way.”From an initial $31,000 grant-making investment in 1981, New Balance Foundation contributions reached a $100 million milestone in 2019 in funding to fund high-impact, long-term, sustainable initiatives that enrich the lives of children, their families and their communities. New Balance Foundation investments focus on research-driven, long-term, collaborative relationships that prevent and treat childhood obesity. The Foundation currently grants to many respected and dedicated national and local non-profit organizations including Boston Children’s Hospital, Good Sports, Harlem Lacrosse, Rising New York Road Runners, local Boys & Girls Clubs, among others. Please visit newbalancefoundation.org for more information. About New Balance Foundation:
Established in 1981, the New Balance Foundation has served a deeply held mission:to drive change in our global communities with an enduring commitment to preventing childhood obesity and championing the future success of today’s youth. For more than 35 years, New Balance Foundation has invested in research, and clinical, educational and community programs that promote healthy lifestyles, children’s fitness and nutrition, and overall community wellness.