Courtesy of Alabama State Athletics
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama State University started slow but overcame a 10-point deficit to defeat Alabama A&M University 24-17 in the 81st Magic City Classic at Legion Field on Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022.
The Hornets halted a four-game AAMU winning streak in the Magic City Classic as Dematrius Davis and Colton Adams were selected Magic City Classic Most Valuable Players.
Score: Alabama State 24 | Alabama A&M 17
Records: Hornets (5-3, 3-2 SWAC) | Bulldogs (3-5, 3-2 SWAC)
Date: Saturday, Oct. 29, 2022
Location: Legion Field | Birmingham, Ala.
Series: Alabama A&M leads 41-40-3
Get Social: Twitter – @BamaStateFB | Facebook – BamaStateSports | Instagram – BamaStateSports
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Quinzel Lockhart blocked a 38-yard field goal in the first quarter to prevent an early Alabama A&M lead.
- The Hornets took a 3-0 lead after Jayden John successfully connected on a career-long 49-yard field goal.
- Quincey Casey found Isiah Cox for a two-yard touchdown to give the Bulldogs a 7-3 advantage.
- Alabama A&M extended the lead to 10 after a pick-six by Jamal Irby.
- The Hornets cut the lead to five after Davis connected with Kisean Johnson for a nine-yard touchdown.
- Jacory Merritt capped off an eight-play, 42-yard drive with a four-yard rushing touchdown to give the Hornets the lead at 17-4.
- Victor Barbosa tied the game at 17-17 with a 37-yard field goal and 6:06 left in the game.
- Davis threw his second touchdown of the day to Jeremiah Hixon which put the Hornets ahead 24-17 with 2:00 left.
- The Hornet defense halted the Bulldogs in the redzone as time expired to hold on for the win.
- Davis completed 11-of-25 passes for 140 yards with two touchdowns and an interception.
- Davis also led the team in rushing with 53 yards.
- Johnson finished with four catches for 33 yards and one touchdown
- Jeremiah Hixon had two receptions for 24 yards and the go-ahead touchdown.
- Colton Adams led the team in tackles with 15 total and two quarterback hurries.
- Adrian Maddox recorded nine tackles.
- Alabama State held AAMU to 108 total yards in the second half after yielding 207 in the first half.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTABLES
- Quinzel Lockhart blocked a 38-yard field goal in the first to prevent an early Alabama A&M
- Jayden John successfully recorded a 49-yard field goal, his longest of the year.
- Donte Norris recovered a muffed punt at the 23-yard line to set up the Hornets’ first
- touchdown of the game.
- Aubrey Grace recorded five punts for 193 yards in the first half. Grace punted the ball seven times and averaged 39.1 yards per punt.
- Robert McMinn returned two kickoffs for a total of 40 yards with an average of 22.0 yards per return.
- Colton Adams and Dematrius Davis were named Most Valuable Players.
- Alabama State won the toss and elected to defer to the second half.
- The win is the Hornets’ first against Alabama A&M since 2017.
- The Hornets had a season-high 16 penalties.
Alabama State heads to Daytona Beach, Fla., to face Bethune-Cookman on Sat., Nov. 5 at 4 p.m. at Daytona Stadium.
Next Game: at Bethune-Cookman 11/5/2022 | 4:00 pm
|00:47 – ASU – Jayden John 49 yd field goal 8 plays, 34 yards, TOP 5:01||3||0|
|10:03 – AAMU – Isiah Cox 2 yd pass from Quincy Casey (Victor Barbosa kick) 4 plays, 71 yards, TOP 1:52||3||7|
|09:50 – AAMU – Jamal Irby 6 yd interception (Victor Barbosa kick)||3||14|
|04:51 – ASU – Kisean Johnson 9 yd pass from Dematrius Davis (Jayden John kick) 5 plays, 23 yards, TOP 1:43||10||14|
|13:56 – ASU – Jacory Merritt 4 yd run (Jayden John kick), 8 plays, 42 yards, TOP 3:39||17||14|
|06:06 – AAMU – Victor Barbosa 37 yd field goal 15 plays, 56 yards, TOP 7:28||17||17|
|02:00 – ASU – Jeremiah Hixon 23 yd pass from Dematrius Davis (Jayden John kick) 6 plays, 81 yards, TOP 3:55||24||17|