Courtesy of Alabama State Athletics
Winner Alabama State 17-11, 6-2 SWAC
Alabama A&M 10-14, 2-6 SWAC
W: Rivera, Ricardo (5-0) L: E. Crenshaw (2-3)
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. | Ian Motos, Cristian Lopez, Jayden Sloan and Jamal George combined for 13 RBI to lead Alabama State University to a 17-9 win over Alabama A&M University on Saturday at Bulldog Baseball Field.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP
FINAL: Alabama State 17 | Alabama A&M 9
Location: Bulldog Baseball Field | Huntsville, Ala.
Records: Alabama State 17-11, 6-2 SWAC | Alabama A&M 10-14, 2-6 SWAC
Get Social: Twitter: @BamaStateBB | @BamaStateSports | Facebook: @BamaStateSports
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Alabama State got out to a quick 4-0 lead in the top of the first inning. Jack Hay, Ali Lepread and Cristian Lopez had RBI doubles and Kyler McIntosh added an RBI single.
- The Hornets added four runs in the third. Lopez hit a two-run home run and Jayden Sloanfollowed with a solo home run. Ian Matos slapped an RBI single to make the score 8-0.
- Jamal George’s three-run home run pushed the Hornets’ lead to 11-0 in the fourth inning.
- Alabama A&M scored three runs in the fifth to cut the ASU advantage to 11-3.
Randy Flores singled home u Sloan in the sixth to extend the Hornets lead to 12-3.
- The Bulldogs plated four runs on a two-run home run and a two-run double to cut their deficit to 12-7.
- Matos delivered a one-out double and later came home on a McIntosh ground out for a 13-7 lead in the seventh.
- Alabama A&M closed the Hornets lead to 13-8, scoring a run on a fielding error in the seventh.
- The Hornets answered with a three-run eighth to build the lead to 16-8. Matos drove in a pair of runs with a single and Trent Jamison scored on a McIntosh sac-fly.
- Matos singled and scored on a George sac-fly to make the score 17-8 in the ninth.
- Alabama A&M scored a run in the bottom of the ninth on a Tommy Easley RBI single.
ON THE MOUND
- Ricardo Rivera (5-0) stuck out a season-high nine Bulldogs while allowing eight runs on eight hits with four walks to earn the win.
- Evan Crenshaw (2-3) gave up eight runs on 10 hits with two strikeouts and two walks in 2.2 innings pitched as the pitcher of record for the Bulldogs.
- Austin King closed the game, giving up one run on two hits with a strikeout.
INSIDE THE BOX
- Alabama State’s 20 hits were the second most hits in a game this season.
- Seven of Alabama State’s 20 hits were extra base hits that included three home runs and four doubles.
- Rivera’s 8.0 innings pitched was his longest outing of the season while his 10 strikeouts were one short equaling his career high.
- George had three hits with a home run and four team-high four RBI.
- Matos had three hits with a doubled and three RBI.
- Lopez collected three hits, including a double and a home run while driving in three runs.
- McIntosh had two and drove in two runs.
UP NEXT: Alabama State and Alabama A&M wrap up the series on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Bulldog Baseball Field.
Next Game: at Alabama A&M University 4/2/2023 | 1:00 PM