Courtesy of Grambling State Athletic Communications
The Grambling State University women’s tennis team wrapped up Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) play on Saturday afternoon and for the first time in decade, defeated rival Southern, 4-1, at the Louisiana Tech Tennis Complex.
Grambling State (3-13 overall, 3-6 SWAC) won the doubles point and picked up three of four singles matches to claim the victory.
– Southern won at No. 1, but Grambling State earned victories at No. 2 and No. 3 to claim the point
-At No. 2 doubles, the team of Ana Ochoa and Takudzwa Mawisire bested Paris Washington and Kourtni Stewart, 6-3
– The team of Claire Machisa and Georgina Kaindoah topped Olivia Jenkins and Sasha Taruberekera, 6-3
– Southern tied the match at 1 as Washington bested Mawisire, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 3
– Kaindoah knocked off Nandi Munyulwa, 6-1 6-2 at No. 4 to give GSU the 2-1 lead
– The Lady Tigers extended the margin to 3-1 at No. 6 as Machisa defeated Jenkins, 6-4, 6-2
– Grambling State captured the match with a win at No. 2 as Lungile Ntuli topped Takalani Molaoa, 6-4, 6-2
Grambling State closes out the regular season on Saturday, April 16 at Louisiana Tech.