Courtesy of Grambling State Athletic Communications:
Alexavier Monfries ran a personal best time of 21.25 and just missed out on winning the 200m dash by eight-tenths of a second on Saturday as the Grambling State University men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at the Carl Knight Invitational, hosted by Stephen F. Austin, at Fletcher Garner Track.
Monfries continues to turn in top performances this spring as his time nearly beat Zac Martin, of McNeese State. Martin won the event in 21.17, while Stephen F. Austin’s Joseph Harding took third in 21.43.
WOMEN’S NOTABLE PERFORMANCES
– Sharon Labich finished seventh in the 1,500m, logging a time of 4:50.75
– Labich came away with a fourth-place finish in the 800m, crossing the line in 2:15.89
– Ruth Kibet and Mercy Kwambai were ninth and 10th, respectively, in the 5,000m, with times of 18:34.03 and 18:35.97
– Kyla Blockett and Dayna Sterling finished seventh and eighth, with times of 24.89 and 25.24, in the 200m dash
– Ivory Davis ran a season best and personal best in the 100 hurdles and is closing in on regional qualifying with a time of 13.95
– In the hammer throw, Aneisha Bell captured eighth, with a toss at 41.74m
MEN’S NOTABLE PERFORMANCES
– In the long jump, Tyson Duncan finished ninth, with a leap of 6.58m
– Prince Moss and Duncan tied for third in the high jump. Both had jumps of 1.83m
– Aryamanua Rogers placed seventh in the 3,000m Steeplechase, with a time of 9:57.73
– Bethwel Limo logged a time of 14:44.50 to finish third in the 5,000m
– In the 400m hurdles, Anthony Davis claimed the seventh spot, logging a time of 58.34
– Burnell Williams was seventh in the 200m dash, with a time of 21.72
Grambling State returns to action at noon on Friday at the Little Rock Twilight in Little Rock, Ark.