Courtesy of Grambling State Athletic Communications
Alexavier Monfries did what he has been doing all season… Dominating!
The St. James, Jamaica native has been one of the best freshmen in all of NCAA Division I on the track this season and the absolute best in the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC).
Monfires captured the 200m and 400m title on Friday at the SWAC Indoor Track and Field Championships at the Birmingham Crossplex and has an opportunity to advance to the NCAA Division I Indoor Track & Field Championships March 11-12 in Birmingham.
WOMEN’S TEAM RESULTS
– Grambling State finished with 24 points to finish 10th
– Prairie View A&M captured the title with 133 points
– Alcorn State placed second (101), followed by Alabama State (85) in third
– Florida A&M grabbed fourth with 72.5 points, while Arkansas-Pine Bluff (71), Jackson State (44), Bethune-Cookman (41), Southern (40) and Texas Southern (35) followed in the standings
– Mississippi Valley State (8.5 points) and Alabama A&M (6) rounded out the 12-team field
WOMEN’S NOTABLE PERFORMANCES
– Sharon Labich grabbed third in the 1-mile run, scoring six points, with a time of 5:12.92
– Mercy Kwambai claimed seventh in the 1-mile run, earning two points, in 5:23.85
– In the 3,000m, Labich placed fifth, with a time of 10:42.54, while Kwambai just missed earning a point by taking ninth in 10:52.39
– In the 5,000m, Kwambai placed fifth in 19:08.82
-Ivory Davis claimed fourth in the 60m hurdles in 8.85 and teammate Rayna Whyte just missed scoring points, taking 10th in 9.02
– Dior Nicholson registered a sixth-place finish in the shot put, with a toss of 12.73m
MEN’S TEAM RESULTS
– Grambling State picked up 24 points to finish 10th
– Prairie View A&M captures the championship with 120 points, followed by Texas Southern (85) in second, with Jackson State and Southern (70) tied for third
– Bethune-Cookman placed fifth with 69 points, followed by Arkansas-Pine Bluff (63), Alabama State (60), Florida A&M (45) and Alcorn State (42)
– Mississippi Valle State (8 points) and Alabama A&M (7) rounded out the 12-team field
MEN’S NOTABLE PERFORMANCES
– Alexavier Monfries captured the 400m dash crown, besting Damon Cobbs, of Prairie View A&M, and Jaylyn Scott, of Florida A&M. He crossed the line in 47.40
– Monfries made things a bit closer in the 200m, besting Kristopher Brown by just three-tenths of a second. Monfries finished in 21.36 and Brown crossed in 21.39. Matthew Clarke came in third at 21.40.
– In the 60m dash, Burnell Williams just missed grabbing points, taking ninth in 6.90
-The distance medley relay team placed eighth, with a time of 11:26.77
– Lawrence Lambert finished tied for fifth in the long jump, with a leap of 6.96m
FOLLOW GRAMBLING STATE ATHLETICS
For complete coverage of Grambling State athletics, please follow the Tigers on social media at @GSU_Tigers (Twitter), /GramblingStateTigers1901 (Facebook), @gramblingathletics (Instagram) or visit the official home of Grambling State Athletics at gsutigers.com.