Courtesy of Kyle Taylor – Langston Sports Information, Langston University
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Langston University men’s basketball team remained in the No. 3 slot in the fifth edition of NAIA Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced.
Langston is currently 19-1 on the season and 13-1 in Sooner Athletic Conference play and ranked third overall with 513 total votes. The Lions are the highest rated team in the Sooner Athletic Conference and ranked in the NAIA Top-25 for the fourth consecutive NAIA Coaches Top 25 Poll.
Statistically, the Lions are first in steals per game (3.8), first in the NAIA in net efficiency (0.313), second in points allowed per game (59.4) and seventh in offensive efficiency (1.165).
Langston returns to action on Thursday, Jan. 26 versus Oklahoma City University. The game will be played at the Payne Athletics Center on the campus of Oklahoma Christian University in Edmond, Okla.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and Continental Athletic Conference (Independents).
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
- Frequency of polls occur bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) beginning in the 2016-17 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
- For the complete NAIA Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, click here.