Courtesy of Grambling State Athletic Communications
Shemar Page pitched a complete-game two-hitter, while striking out 12, as the Grambling State University baseball team got back into the win column on Friday night with an 11-1 victory over Alcorn State in a Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) game at McGowan Stadium.
Page was masterful on the mound, facing 26 batters, as he allowed just one unearned run, along with two hits. He fanned 12 and did not allow a walk in the win. Meanwhile, at the plate, Grambling State (9-17 overall, 4-3 SWAC) pounded out 11 hits, asJarifcur Parker, Julian Murphy and Terry Burrell III each collected two hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
– Grambling State raced out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning as John Garcia belted a two-run homer
– The Tigers added to the lead in the second with a pair of runs in the second on two hits and took advantage of two errors
– GSU plated three runs in the fourth to extend the lead to 7-0
– Terry Burrell III opened the frame with a walk and moved to second on a LaMarcus Johnson single to left.
– Jones stole second and advanced to third on an error, before being thrown out at home. Meanwhile, Burrell stole third and scored on the play
– Jarficur Parker singled to center and stole second with two down
– Cameron Bufford brought Parker in to score with a homer
– Alcorn State (1-117, 1-6) added a run in the bottom of the frame to cut the deficit to 7-1
– Grambling State tacked on a run in the fifth and scored three more runs in the seventh to extend the margin to 11-1
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
– Grambling State scored 11 runs on 11 hits, committed a pair of errors, while leaving four on base
– Alcorn State finished with one run on two hits, recorded four errors and stranded four on base
– GSU belted two home runs – Cameron Bufford and John Garcia
– The Tigers registered five stolen bases –Jarifcur Parker (two), Julian Murphy, Terry Burrell III and LaMarcus Jones
– Murphy went 2-for-2 at the plate, with two walks and two runs scored
– Burrell was 2-for-3, with two runs scored and two RBI, along with one walk
– Parker went 2-for-5, with three runs scored and one RBI
– Shemar Page (3-3) earned the victory in seven innings of work
– Jermel Ford (0-5) took the loss, pitching four innings and giving up seven runs (two earned) on nine hits, with three strikeouts and two walks
– Andrew Meadows and Jamaal Green worked in relief
Grambling State returns to action in Game 2 of the SWAC series against Alcorn State on Saturday. First pitch is set for 3 p.m. from McGowan Stadium.