An Ohio State student went from sneaker seller to robber victim during a recent transaction.
The student made arrangements with an individual in the parking lot of a CVS located on High Street last Saturday night to sell them a pair of sneakers n the night of February 12, 2022.
According to a Ohio State Department of Public Safety Notice, as the buyer was trying on the shoes, a second suspect approached and pointed a gun at the seller and demanded money. The victim had no money , so the gun-toting suspect proceeded to subsequently take the sneakers from the first suspect and exit the scene and the first suspect ran in the same direction.
The notice also stated both suspects appeared to have left in the same vehicles.
Thankfully no injuries were reported.
In addition to not agreeing to meet a stranger alone at night in a parking lot, the Columbus Division of Police and the OSU offer these tips when engaging in these meet-up translations that will help keep people safe and avoid being the subject of one of these stories:
- Meet in a well-lit public place with known security where other people can see you.
- Go with a friend or family member.
- Plan and confirm all exchange details in advance.
- Know the description of the buyer or seller as well as a description of their vehicle in advance.
- Check reviews about the buyer or seller prior to making a transaction.
- Do not share personal information.
- Be vigilant and aware of your surroundings
The investigation is ongoing and suspect details are limited. Individuals with pertinent information relating to this incident are asked to call the Columbus Division of Police 614-645-4545.