From the Southwestern Athletic Conference:
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Southwestern Athletic Conference has named Arkansas-Pine Bluff’s Shaun Doss Jr. its SWAC Men’s Basketball Player of the Week for his outstanding performance during games played Jan. 2-4.
Doss (Marion, Ark.) contributed 23 points, 13 rebounds, one block, one steal, and two assists during the Golden Lions win over Mississippi Valley State on Saturday (92-52).
It was also Doss’ second consecutive 20-point, 10-rebound game, as he recorded 25 points and 10 rebounds at #2 Baylor on Dec. 21. He has recorded 10 or more rebounds in three consecutive contests, and has scored 20 or more points in consecutive games five times this season.
Doss currently ranks in the SWAC’s Top 10 in six different categories: scoring (4th/17.4 ppg), rebounding (7th/6.5 rpg), field goal percentage (9th/35.8%), free throw percentage (9th/65.6%), made 3s/game (9th/1.6), and minutes (3rd /35.5 mpg).
He currently leads UAPB in scoring and rebounding with 17.4 points per game to go along with 6.5 rebounds per outing.
Other Notable Performances:
- Jackson State’s Tristan Jarrett contributed a game high 25 points during the Tigers 60-44 road win versus Alabama State on Monday.
- Mississippi Valley State’s Quoiren Walden tallied 12 points on 6-of-7 shooting with five rebounds versus UAPB.
- Alcorn State’s Tyree Corbett led the Braves with a game-high 24 points at #2 Baylor, his 24 points were also a season-high as he went 9-15 from the field.
- Prairie View A&M’s Cam Mack garnered 16 points against TCU on December 30. He also posted four rebounds, three assists, one block and two steals during the game.
- Jackson State’s Cainan McClelland was a key contributor during the Tigers 60-44 road win over Alabama State on Monday as he scored 14 points while going 4-of-6 from beyond the arc.
- Grambling State’s Cameron Christon led GSU in points (24), rebounds (eight) and blocks (three) during the Tigers first conference victory of the season as they defeated Alabama State 66-49.
About the SWAC
The Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) is considered one of the premier HBCU conferences in the country and currently ranks among the elite in the nation in terms of HBCU alumni playing with professional sports teams.
Current championship competition offered by the league includes competition for men in Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Indoor Track and Field, Outdoor Track and Field and Tennis.
Women’s competition is offered in the sports of Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Golf, Indoor Track and Field, Outdoor Track and Field, Soccer, Softball, Tennis and Volleyball.
Follow the SWAC
For complete coverage of the Southwestern Athletic Conference, please follow the SWAC on social media at @TheSWAC (Twitter), @TheSWAC (Facebook), and @TheSWAC (Instagram) or visit the official home of the Southwestern Athletic Conference at www.swac.org.