Courtesy of Alabama State Sports Information
ATHENS, Ohio | The Alabama State University men’s basketball team could not overcome an 18-point halftime deficit as Ohio University held off a Hornets rally for a 72-58 win on Sunday at the Bobcat Battle.
The Hornets outscored Ohio 31-27 in the second half but could not get any closer than eight points.
Amarr Knox and Isaiah Range were named to the Bobcat Battle All-Tournament team.
Score: | Ohio University 72 | Alabama State 55
Records: Hornets (1-7) | Bobcats (3-3)
Date: Sun., Nov. 27, 2022
Location: Convocation Center | Athens, Ohio
Series: Ohio leads 1-0.
Get Social: Twitter – @BamaStateMBB & @BamaStateSports | Facebook – BamaStateSports
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bobcats jumped out to a 9-2 lead on a Miles Brown jumper two minutes into the contest.
- Isaiah Range made a jump shot, and TJ Madlock sank two free throws to get the Hornets 19-11 with 12:19 left in the first half.
- Ohio made five of its next six shots to build a 38-20 lead with 5:40 remaining in the first half.
- Range led ASU’s first half scoring with 13 points, but Ohio held a 45-27 lead at intermission.
- Amarr Knox’s layup cut the Ohio lead to 51-38 with just under five minutes left in the second half.
- The Hornets cut the deficit to 53-41 on a Range jump shot at the 14:07 mark of the second period.
- ASU’s defense held Ohio without a field goal for 3:08 as a Christian McCray layup got the Hornets within 55-45 with 12:08 to go.
- A Jordan O’Neal dunk and a Madlock layup cut the deficit to 56-49 with under 10 minutes to play in the second half.
- The Bobcats connected on 5-of-6 field goal attempts to stretch the lead to 72-55 with under a minute left in the game.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- All-Tournament Team: Amarr Knox(ASU), Isaiah Range (ASU;, Yakeema Rose(EIU), Nick Ellington (EIU), Ben Roderick (Ohio), Miles Brown(Ohio) MVP
- ASU outscored Ohio 31-27 in the second half.
- Range set a new career-high for the second straight day, leading ASU with 26 points.
- Madlock finished with 11 points and five rebounds.
- Duane Posey led ASU with eight rebounds.
- Miles Brown’s 18 points and AJ Clayton’s 11 rebounds led the Bobcats.
Alabama State University returns to action against the University of North Alabama on Wed., Dec. 7 at 6 p.m. at Flowers Hall in Florence, Ala.