Courtesy of Grambling State University Athletic Communications
W: Prestwich, C (1-3) L: Connor Rudy (3-6)
Grambling State University pitcher Connor Rudy took a no-hitter into the sixth inning, but Northwestern State struck for four runs in the frame in defeating the Tigers, 8-3, on Tuesday night at Wilbert Ellis Field at R.W.E. Jones Park.
Rudy (3-6) overcame an error-plagued fourth inning, which saw Northwestern State (20-20) grab a 2-0 lead. However, Grambling State (18-22), which saw its three-game win streak snapped, picked up three runs in the fifth.
The Demons scored the final six runs, including back-to-back homers by Jeffrey Elkins and Gray Rowlett in the seventh to pick up the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
– After three scoreless innings, Northwestern State struck for two runs and took advantage of three errors to grab a 2-0 lead
– Back came Grambling State, scoring all three of its runs in the fifth inning
– With two outs in the frame, John Garcia, the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) Hitter of the week, singled up the middle
– Julian Murphy drew a walk and Garcia scored on a Cameron Bufford single to right field
– Keylon Mack followed with a towering deep fly ball that bounced off the wall in center, scoring Murphy and Bufford
– The Demons grabbed the lead for good with four runs on three hits in the sixth
– With two outs, Garrett Colaianni singled to right and advanced to second when Cameron Parikh was hit by a pitch
– Bailyn Sorensen followed with a single to center as Colaianni scored
– After Jake Haze walked to load the bases, Parikh scored on a wild pitch
– Cameron Sibley reached on an infield hit as Sorensen and Haze scored
– Northwestern State put the game away in the seventh with back-to-back homers by Elkins and Rowlett
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
– Grambling State scored three runs on 10 hits, with four errors and stranded 11 on base
– Northwestern State finished with eight runs on six hits and left five on base
– Terry Burrell III and Jarficur Parker each collected a pair of hits
– Connor Rudy took the loss in six innings. He gave up six runs (four earned) on three hits, with four strikeouts and two walks
– JC Bonilla and Santiago Hungria III pitched in relief
– Josh Banes started on the mound for the Demons, giving up one hit, while fanning two and walking one in two innings
– Ethan Francis, Chase Prestwich, Dawson Flowers, Andrew Cossio and Donovan Ohnoutka worked in relief
– Prestwich earned the win, pitching one inning. He surrendered three runs on three hits, with one walk
Grambling State returns to Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) play this weekend as the Tigers play host to rival Southern for Alumni Weekend. The series begins on Friday as first pitch is set for 6 p.m.from Wilbert Ellis Field at R.W.E. Jones Park.