From Grambling State University Sports Information:
GRAMBLING, La. | For the second time in as many matches, the Grambling State University women’s soccer team suffered another heartbreaking loss in extra time as the Lady Tigers surrendered the game-winning goal in the 92nd minute against Sam Houston State on Friday night at Pritchett Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
– Grambling State broke the 0-0 tie in the 27th minute as Lizbeth Aguero found the back of the net off an assist by Imogen Fowler, giving the Lady Tigers the 1-0 advantage and their first lead of the season.
– The Bearkats scored the equalizer in the 82nd minute as Katarina Baehren assisted on Danielle Forsyth’s goal, tying the game at 1.
– After the game went into extra time, Landri Townsend sent the crowd home off an assist by Grace Stine, giving the Bearkats the 2-1 victory
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
– Rachel Pugh played all 92 minutes in goal for the Lady Tigers and registered four saves
– Abby Delozier tallied four saves in 92 minutes for the Bearkats
– Grambling State finished with eight shots, including five on goal
– Sam Houston State recorded 13 shots, with six on target
– Both teams registered five corner kicks
– There were 13 total fouls in the match
NEWS & NOTES
– Grambling State held the lead over 55 minutes against Sam Houston State
– Rachel Pugh made her second consecutive start in goal for the Lady Tigers
– Through three games, Kailey Pena, who was one of the nation’s top goal scorers last season, has just one goal
Grambling State begins the first of a five-game homestand at 5 p.m. on Sunday against Louisiana-Monroe at the GSU Soccer Complex.