From the Southeastern Athletic Conference:
BIRMINGHAM, Ala.- The Southwestern Athletic Conference has named Jackson State’s Ameshya Williams its SWAC Women’s Basketball Player of the Week for her outstanding performances during games played Jan. 2-4.
Williams (Gulfport, Miss.) averaged a double-double tallying 19.5 points per game to go along with 20.5 rebounds per game.
She was a significant contributor on both ends of the floors for the Lady Tigers as she also averaged 4.0 blocks along with 1.0 steals per game during the week of competition.
Other Notable Performances:
- Alabama A&M’s Dariauna Lewis delivered an impressive week as she averaged 10.5 points, 10.5 rebounds and 3.5 blocks over the course of a pair of games.
- UAPB’S Joyce Kennerson averaged 16.0 points, 4.0 rebounds, 4.5 assists, and 1.5 steals in games at Oklahoma and vs. Mississippi Valley State.
- MVSU’s Annya Moss scored a career high 26 points and 11 rebounds against UAPB on Saturday.
- Alcorn State’s Deja Mitchell powered the Lady Braves to their 55-48 conference opening win over Prairie View A&M after scoring a game-high 19 points, which was also a season-high.
- PVAMU’s Tiffany Tullis tallied 23 points, 15 boards, five steals and three assists during her first two games of the season.
- Alabama State’s Jayla Crawford finished with a team-high 18 points, while also collecting seven rebounds against Jackson State on Monday.
About the SWAC
The Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) is considered one of the premier HBCU conferences in the country and currently ranks among the elite in the nation in terms of HBCU alumni playing with professional sports teams.
Current championship competition offered by the league includes competition for men in Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Indoor Track and Field, Outdoor Track and Field and Tennis.
Women’s competition is offered in the sports of Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Golf, Indoor Track and Field, Outdoor Track and Field, Soccer, Softball, Tennis and Volleyball.
Follow the SWAC
For complete coverage of the Southwestern Athletic Conference, please follow the SWAC on social media at @TheSWAC (Twitter), @TheSWAC (Facebook), and @TheSWAC (Instagram) or visit the official home of the Southwestern Athletic Conference at www.swac.org.