Courtesy of Mississippi Valley State Athletics
ITTA BENA, Miss. – The Mississippi Valley State University men’s basketball program snapped a 41-game losing streak in NCAA Division I, non-conference games with a 76-68 victory over North Alabama in Head Coach George Ivory‘s Delta Devils home debut.
What You Need to Know:
- Score: Mississippi Valley State 76 | North Alabama 68
- Records: Mississippi Valley State (1-4, 0-0 SWAC) | North Alabama (3-1, 0-0 Atlantic Sun)
- Location: Itta Bena, Mississippi – R.W. Harrison HPER Complex
- Series History: North Alabama Leads 2-1
- Winning Streak: Mississippi Valley State (W1) | North Alabama’s Last Win: December 1, 2021 (72-58)
- All-Time History vs. Atlantic Sun Opponents: Atlantic Sun Leads 10-8
Mississippi Valley State Top Performers:
- Terry Collins has been a stud all season long, but the senior from Kenner, Louisiana saved his best performance for the Valley faithful as he dropped a career-high 27 points, went 10-of-11 from the line (90.9%), logged a game-best five assists, set another career-best with two blocks, grabbed five boards, and swished three triples.
- Danny Washington stepped up big for MVSU tonight as well, going off for a personal-high 16 points, his second straight double-digit scoring affair, with all of his points coming in the second half. He had a game-best four three-pointers (4-for-7, 57.1%) and two steals on top of a 45.5% shooting night overall.
- Kadar Waller rounded out the Devils’ double-figure scoring contributors with a solid 11 points, joining Washington in powering the team to a win in as ten of those 11 came in the final 20 minutes as well.
- Michael Barber was the squad’s top rebounder on the night with six while Alvin Stredic and Collins brought in five each. Big men Daniel Umoh and Ernest Mintonalso made valuable contributions on the glass with four apiece with Umoh’s coming over just five minutes and 22 seconds of floor time.
- Prior to tonight’s victory, the last time the men’s basketball program had taken down a non-SWAC, D1 foe was November 20, 2018 when it defeated Southeastern Louisiana by a score of 69-59 in the Mississippi Delta.
- Valley State drained a season-best nine three-pointers, connecting on over 50% of its long-range attempts (9-of-17, 52.9%), and doubling up the Lions in the assist department (14-7)
- The Green and White had a positive turnover margin for the second contest in-a-row, forcing 14 and committing just ten on top of just narrowly missing out on winning the rebound battle (38-37).
We would not blame Valley if the tune “On The Road Again” was the team’s new theme song over the next month-and-a-half as they will spend its next 11 games away, nine out-of-conference and two SWAC matchups, from the friendly confines of the R.W. Harrison HPER Complex before finally hosting Prairie View A&M on January 7 at 6 p.m. central time.
Next Game: at Missouri 11/20/2022 | 6:30 p.m. SEC Network+