Courtesy of Curtis Ford, Grambling State Athletics
NEW ORLEANS, La. | The Grambling State University women’s basketball team battled hard, but dropped its season opener on the road to Tulane, 72-46, on Monday.
Miracle Saxon paced GSU in her debut in the black and gold, scoring a team-high 13 points on 5-of-9 shooting from the field. She added four rebounds to her tally.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tulane opened the game with back-to-back 3-pointers to build an early 6-0 advantage.
- Freshman Jazmyne Jackson scored the first bucket of her career with a three ball of her own at the 8:16 mark of the first quarter.
- After the Green Wave opened up a 9-3 advantage, GSU scored the next five points to pull within one with 3:20 to go in the opening frame. Tulane would carry a 19-13 lead at the end of quarter.
- Much like how the first quarter began, the Green Wave opened up a 12-point lead, 25-13, on a pair of threes to open the second period.
- The Lady Tigers struggled offensively, scoring just six points on 3-of-14 shooting from the field, including going 0-for-6 from being the arc. GSU trailed the Green Wave 37-19 at the half.
- Tulane took control of the contest in the second half, building its biggest lead of the contest 55-26 with 3:03 to go in the third period.
- Grambling State continued to fight down the stretch, outscoring the Green Wave 16-15 in the fourth quarter.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Grambling State shot 30.8 percent (16-of-52) from the field and 10.5 percent (2-of-19) from three-point line. The Lady Tigers went 12-of-16 (75.0 percent) from the charity stripe.
- Phylicia Allen was GSU’s second-leading scoring, registering seven points on 3-of-7 from the floor
- GSU was outscored in the paint 22-16
- The Lady Tigers scored 21 points off turnovers. Tulane scored 10.
- The Green Wave’s bench tallied 30 points. Grambling State’s bench registered 18
- Marta Galic led Tulane with a 19 point-10 rebound double-double
Grambling State travels to Tempe, Ariz. to square off against Arizona State on Friday. Tip-off is set for 3:30 p.m. CST and will be broadcast on the PAC12 Network
FOLLOW GRAMBLING STATE ATHLETICS
For complete coverage of Grambling State athletics, please follow the Tigers on social media at @GSU_Tigers (Twitter), /GramblingStateTigers1901 (Facebook), @gramblingathletics (Instagram) or visit the official home of Grambling State Athletics at gsutigers.com.
Next Game: at Arizona State 11/11/2022 | 3:30 p.m. Pac-12 Stream