Courtesy of Tuskegee Athletics
TUSKEGEE, Ala. – In front of a crowd of over 35,000, senior Donte Edwards (Mobile, Ala.) barreled in for a one-yard score in double overtime to secure the 26-23 win in their final Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) regular season game.
Tuskegee (8-2, 7-0 SIAC) welcomed fans back in full capacity to the newly renovated Abbott Memorial Stadium for the first time since the pandemic and won their first Homecoming game since 2018.
The Golden Tigers ended the opening quarter with a 6-3 lead on a pair of field goals from Arnes Huskic (Jacksonville, Ala.), before Miles took a 10-6 lead with just over eight minutes to go on a 24-yard pass and later went into the half up 13-7 after a field goal as the clock expired.
Much of the third quarter was played without a score, as neither team could fine the end zone before Taurean Taylor (Scottdale, Ga.) ran for 13 yards for a touchdown to tie the ball game at 13-13 with 2:31 to play in the third, a score that would remain for the remainder of regulation.
After winning the toss to start overtime, the Golden Tigers scored on the first play from scrimmage with a 25-yard rushing score from Edwards to go up 20-13, however Miles responded with a touchdown of their own to send the game into double overtime.
With first drive in the second overtime, Miles was forced into a field goal, leaving way for the second Edwards touchdown of the day and the win for Tuskegee in walk-off fashion.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Tuskegee has extended their win streak to eight games, finishing the regular season with their highest win total since 2017. They also keep their Division II playoff hopes alive heading into the SIAC Championship game next weekend.
- Tuskegee outrushed Miles 207-126, while Miles outgained the Golden Tigers through the air 2-136. Miles gained 23 first downs to just 20 from Tuskegee, while the total yardage gained was separated by just five yards with Miles leading 348-343.
- Edwards led the way on the ground on the day with 19 carries for 120 yards and two scores, followed by Bryson Williams(Lithonia, Ga.) who gained 58 yards on 12 carries, while Taylor rushed 10 times for 29 yards and a score.
- Running back Taurean Taylor (Stockdale, Ga.) had a career day against Clark Atlanta and his former head coach. The senior finished the day with 218 yards on the ground on 26 carries and a touchdown in the win. On the season, Taylor is the leading rusher for the Golden Tigers despite playing in just three games, accounting for 348 yards on 46 carries so far, 116 yards per contest.
- Malik Moore (Tallahasse, Fla.) recorded 12 tackles on the day (five solos), followed by both Zelly Aldridge (Gallion, Ala.) and Jeremy Dees (Evergreen, Ala.) with seven each.
The Golden Tigers will travel to Columbia, S.C., next weekend for a battle with Benedict for the SIAC Football Championship game.
|08:27 – TUSKEGEE – Arnes Huskic 36 yd field goal 11 plays, 55 yards, TOP 6:18||0||3|
|05:06 – MILES – Jackson Spradlin 51 yd field goal 7 plays, 41 yards, TOP 3:21||3||3|
|00:41 – TUSKEGEE – Arnes Huskic 27 yd field goal 10 plays, 44 yards, TOP 4:18||3||6|
|08:34 – MILES – Jaih Andrews 24 yd pass from Jacob Keller (Jackson Spradlin kick) 6 plays, 56 yards, TOP 2:50||10||6|
|00:00 – MILES – Jackson Spradlin 28 yd field goal 7 plays, 64 yards, TOP 2:37||13||6|
|02:31 – TUSKEGEE – Taurean Taylor 13 yd run (Arnes Huskic kick), 2 plays, 11 yards, TOP 0:47||13||13|
|00:00 – TUSKEGEE – Donte Edwards 25 yd run (Arnes Huskic kick), plays, yards, TOP||13||20|
|00:00 – MILES – Jacob Millhouse 1 yd run (Jackson Spradlin kick), plays, yards, TOP||20||20|
|00:00 – MILES – Jackson Spradlin 24 yd field goal plays, yards, TOP||23||20|
|00:00 – TUSKEGEE – Donte Edwards 1 yd run ( ), plays, yards, TOP||23||26|