Courtesy of Virginia State Athletics
ETTRICK, VA – The VSU Volleyball team completed the season sweep against Virginia Union after a 3-0 victory (25-21, 25-21, 25-23) on senior night.
- Amaya Cooper led the team with nine kills on a .227 hitting percentage.
- For the second time this season Zaria Ironsearned three service aces while Najlaa Williams earned three for the second time this season as well.
- Yet again, Kelsea Saulny led the team in blocks with two while also accounting for a career-high six kills with a .455 hitting percentage.
- Emma Quarles led the match with 17 assists while Makenzy Johnson was just one away with 16.
- Helena Eubanks led the match with 12 digs while Alexis Baker and Najlaa Williamsearned seven apiece.
- The Trojans held the Panthers to under a .100 hitting percentage in two of three sets.
- The VSU Volleyball team won the battle of service aces 10-3.
How It Happened
SET 1 | The first set of the match started with ties at five, six, seven, eight, nine and 10 before the Lady Panthers went on a five-point run to take a 15-12. Thanks to kills from Alexis McNair and Makenzy Johnson the Trojans were able to score five points straight to take the lead back 21-18. After a powerful kill from Helena Eubanks, the Trojans managed to scrape together the final four of six points to take set one 25-21.
SET 2 | The Trojans were able to get out to a 4-1 lead to start the match after Kelsea Saulny scored the first point of the match on a kill. As the Trojans attempted to extend their lead, the Panthers went on to score five points straight to cut the VSU lead to 11-10. Later on, VSU went on a 6-1 run after a pair of kills from Helena Eubanks allowed the score to be 21-15. The Panthers answered with a 6-2 run to make the score 23-21. VSU scored the last two points of he set to take the second set 25-21.
SET 3 | VUU started the third set with their biggest lead of the day after scoring six points straight to make it 6-2. The two would go back and forth until VSU scored six points straight to take a slim 14-12. While VUU scored four points straight to make the score 16-14, Virginia State mounted a 5-1 run to make the scored 22-20 following kills from Amaya Cooper, Alexis McNairand Makayla Berry. While the Panthers were able to tie the third set at 23, the Trojans scored two points straight yet again to take the third set 25-23 and ultimately the match.
The Trojans will hit the road to Raleigh, NC to take part in their final match of the 2022 regular season against Shaw on Sa3eturday, October 29 at 2:00 p.m.