Adidas and Parley to make shoes from recycled plastic










For over a year, Adidas has been hinting at a release of a shoe composed nearly entirely of plastic trash that was removed from the seas. In June of 2015, an initial prototype, which was created in a joint effort with the environmental organization Parley for the Oceans, was unveiled. In the middle of November, 7,000 pairs will go on sale. The German athletic company says that is just a start.


We will make one million pair of shoes using Parley Ocean Plastic in 2017- and our ultimate ambition is to eliminate virgin plastic from our supply chain. – Eric Liedtke, Executive Board member Adidas AG responsible for Global Bands, November 4, 2016 statement.

The UltraBoost uncaged Parley
The UltraBoost uncaged Parley

The UltraBoost Uncaged Parley, which is the initial run of the sneakers, will be made of 95% plastic debris, with the remaining 5% being recycled polyester.


At this point, it’s no longer about just raising awareness. It’s bout taking action and implementing strategies that can end the cycle of plastic pollution for good. Eco-innovation is an open playing field. – Cyrill Gutsch, founder of Parley for the Oceans.


The companies also fabricated kits for the soccer Clubs Bayern Munich and Real Madrid using recycled plastic. Bayern wore the kits in its November 5 match versus TSG 1899 Hoffenheim; Real Madrid will sport them for their upcoming match November 26 against Real Sporting de Gijón.


Related posts

Leave a Comment