From Grambling State University Sports Communications:
The Grambling State University got back into the win column on Thursday night as the Tigers rolled past Jarvis Christian, 71-44, at the Fredrick C. Hobdy Assembly Center.
Tra’Michael Moton led the Tigers (3-5) with 17 points, six assists, five rebounds and three steals. In addition, Moton was perfect from the free-throw line (4-for-4).
HOW IT HAPPENED
– Grambling State got off to somewhat of a slow start before Tra’Michael Moton landed a shot behind the arch to extend the GSU lead, 5-0
– A Semaj Matthews dunk gave Jarvis Christian an 8-7 advantage with 12:51remaining in the first half
– The Tigers answered and used a 25-5 run over the next eight minutes as Terreon Randolph slammed home a dunk giving Grambling State a commanding 32-14 lead with 3:03 left
– The Bulldogs closed the half strong, cutting the deficit to 33-19- Jarvis Christian trimmed the margin to 47-34 after a 3-pointer by Jakobe Dill with 12:05remaining
– The Tigers closed out the final 12 minutes outscoring the Bulldogs, 23-10, to pick up the non-conference victory
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
– Grambling State shot 47.6 percent (30-for-63) from the floor and 60 percent (6-for-10) from the free-throw line-
Tra’Michael Moton paced the Tigers, scoring 17 points, six assists and five rebounds
– Zahad Munford tallied 10 points, three rebounds and three assists
-The Tigers recorded 46 points in the paint, 38 bench points, 28 points off of 21 Jarvis Christian turnovers, 13 second-chance points and 12 fastbreak points- Jarvis Christian shot 30.8 percent (16-of-52) from the field and 50 percent (5-of-10) from the charity stripe
– Semaj Matthews and Jakobe Dill led the way for the Bulldogs with 13 points each
– The Bulldogs tallied 12 points in the paint, 11 points off of 14 Grambling State turnovers, 10 bench points and five second-chance points
Grambling State takes to the road for the final five games of the 2021 non-conference portion of its schedule as the Tigers visit UConn on Saturday. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m.and will be streamed live on Fox Sports 2 (FS2).
FOLLOW GRAMBLING STATE ATHLETICSFor complete coverage of Grambling State athletics, please follow the Tigers on social media at @GSU_Tigers (Twitter), /gsu_tigers1 (Facebook), @gramblingathletics (Instagram) or visit the official home of Grambling State Athletics at gsutigers.com.