From swac.org :
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama A&M University guard DeShawna Harper has been named the Southwestern Athletic Conference Women’s Basketball Player of the Week after a standout effort during this past week of play. The league made the announcement Tuesday afternoon.
Harper was the difference-maker for the Lady Bulldogs during a 65-57 victory at arch-rival Alabama State. The sophomore scored a career-high 26 points in 27 minutes of play, shooting 8-of-15 (53.3 percent) from the floor and 8-of-10 (80 percent) from the free throw line.
Additionally, she grabbed three rebounds and made a pair of steals. The Indianapolis, Ind. native was a key factor in Alabama A&M’s game-winning 17-7 run in the fourth quarter, as she scored five points during that stretch. At the time of Alabama A&M’s scoring spurt, the Lady Bulldogs trailed 50-48.
Harper has averaged 20.6 points per game over Alabama A&M’s last three games, all wins for the Lady Bulldogs.
Other Notable Performances:
– Texas Southern’s Niya Mitchell averaged 17 points, 16 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game in Texas Southern’s matchups versus Grambling State and Jackson State. Against Grambling State, Mitchell scored 12 points and grabbed a career-high 21 rebounds. Mitchell scored 22 points and posted 11 rebounds versus Jackson State.
– Jackson State’s Marneisha Hamer averaged 23 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game as Jackson State split contests versus Prairie View A&M and Texas Southern. Hamer scored 26 points along with 11 boards and three steals in an 89-80 loss to Prairie View A&M. Against Texas Southern, Hamer posted 20 points and five rebounds in a 73-64 win. Hamer shot 20-of-29 (68.9 percent) from the field.
– Grambling State’s Shakyla Hill averaged 17 points, 7.5 rebounds, 5.0 steals and 4.5 assists for the Lady Tigers in victories over Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M. In a 72-55 win over TSU, Hill posted 15 points, five rebounds, five assists and three steals. Hill followed that with a 19-point, 10-rebound effort in a 73-57 win over Prairie View A&M, adding seven steals and four assists.
– Alcorn State’s De’Asia Brown turned in a big week for the Lady Braves, averaging 19.5 points per game on the road at MVSU and UAPB. She tallied a career-high 27 points against the Delta Devilettes to lead the Lady Braves to an 81-80 victory in overtime and followed it up with 12 points at UAPB.
– Southern’s Alyric Scott averaged 15.5 points, 10 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 2.0 steals for the Jaguars in victories over UAPB and Mississippi Valley State. Scott scored 12 points and netted eight rebounds in a 56-45 win over the Lady Lions and scored 19 points while grabbing 12 rebounds in a 67-46 win over MVSU.
– Southern’s Taneara Moore scored 19 points and grabbed 15 rebounds in the Jaguars 67-46 win at Mississippi Valley State. For the weekend, Moore averaged 16.0 points and 8 rebounds per game.
– Prairie View A&M’s Shala Dobbins averaged 16 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game while shooting 80 percent (16-of-20) from the foul line. Dobbins scored 22 points in an 89-80 victory over Jackson State.