Image via David Campbell
Courtesy of Alabama State Athletics
MONTGOMERY, Ala. |Dematrius Davis threw for a career-high 272 yards but the Alabama State football team (6-5, 4-4 SWAC) fell to the Golden Lions of Arkansas-Pine Bluff (3-8, 1-7 SWAC) 19-14 in the 98th Annual Turkey Day Classic at New ASU Stadium.
Score: Arkansas-Pine Bluff – 19 | Alabama State – 14
Records: Hornets (6-5, 4-4 SWAC) | Golden Lions (3-8, 1-7 SWAC)
Date: Saturday, Nov. 24, 2022
Location: New ASU Stadium | Montgomery, Ala.
Series: Alabama State leads series 14-6
Get Social: Twitter – @BamaStateFB | Facebook – BamaStateSports | Instagram – BamaStateSports
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Santo Dunn muffed a punt, giving Arkansas-Pine Bluff the ball on the 16-yard line with eight minutes left in the opening quarter.
- Kayvon Britten plunged into the endzone from seven yards out to give UAPB a 7-0 advantage at the seven-minute mark in the first quarter.
- Kayvon Britten put together an 11-yard rush touchdown to give the Golden Lions a 13-0 lead with two minutes off the clock in the second frame. Keenan Isaac blocked UAPB’s extra point.
- Jacory Merritt picked up his third touchdown of the season on a three-yard rush to cut the deficit to six points (13-7) with 12 minutes to play in the third quarter.
- Merritt rushed for a 50-yard touchdown to put ASU in front by one (14-13) with five minutes left in the third frame.
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff’s Kayvon Britten scored on a 14-yard rush with 49 seconds left to lift the Golden Lions over the Hornets, 19-14.
- Dematrius Davis threw for 174 yards and went 11-of-15 on completions with one interception in the first half.
- The Hornets scored 14 unanswered points to take a one-point lead heading into the fourth quarter.
- Dematrius Davis threw for a career-high 272 yards, 18-of-30 on completions, and one interception.
- Jacory Merritt rushed for 91 yards and two touchdowns.
- Alabama State ended UAPB’s opening drive with a defensive stop on fourth and two.
- Mikey Victor picked off UAPB’s Skyler Perry midway through the second quarter to set up the Hornets’ offense on their 26-yard line.
- Colton Adams recovered a fumble in the third quarter to give Alabama State the ball on their own 39-yard line.
- Colton Adams led the way for Alabama State with 17 total tackles, followed by Irshaad Daviswith 10 total.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTABLES
- Jeremiah Hixon gave Alabama State momentum after a 48-yard punt return to set the Alabama State offense up on UAPB’s 34-yard line with 45 seconds left in the first quarter.
- Alabama State registered their fifth blocked kick of the year after Keenan Isaac rejected UAPB’s extra point in the second quarter.
- Colton Adams was one tackle shy of his career-high of 18 total tackles.
- Jacory Merritt rushed for two touchdowns today, bringing his season total to four which ties him with Ja’Won Howell for most on the team.
- Dematrius Davis threw for a career-high 272 yards.
- The hornets finished 6-5 under first-year head coach Eddie Robinson.
|07:02 – UAPB – Britten, Kayvon 7 yd run (Thompson, Crist kick), 3 plays, 16 yards, TOP 1:20||7||0|
|13:37 – UAPB – Britten, Kayvon 11 yd run (Thompson, Crist kick blocked), 3 plays, 73 yards, TOP 0:54||13||0|
|12:16 – ALAST – Merritt,Jacory 3 yd run (Eichner,Nathani kick), 6 plays, 67 yards, TOP 2:37||13||7|
|05:17 – ALAST – Merritt,Jacory 50 yd run (Eichner,Nathani kick), 4 plays, 80 yards, TOP 1:36||13||14|
|00:49 – UAPB – Britten, Kayvon 14 yd run (Britten, Kayvon rush failed), 9 plays, 72 yards, TOP 1:41||19||14|