ALBANY, GA -The Albany State University Golden Rams (2-0, 0-0 SIAC) remained unbeaten in 2021 with a 28-12 win over the Shorter Hawks (1-1, 0-0 GSC) here at the Albany State University Coliseum. ASU wasted no time in the first quarter scoring in three plays going 72-yards to set the tone for the evening. From there they would never trail.
Quarterback Dionte Bonneau led the charge with 362 all-purpose yards, with 84 coming on the ground and 278 coming thru the air, including a 54-yard bomb to Ralph Lovett on the first play from scrimmage. Lovett would lead the team in receiving with 92 yards.
The defense was led by Stephan Pierre who had sic solos and five assists. Antonio Leroy Jr. who had six solo two assists and two sacks also had a stellar game. Coemba Jones had two solo tackles and five assists.
The Hawks were led by quarterback Aeneas Dennis who threw for 177 yards on 17-25 completions, but also threw three interceptions. Jaiden Dollard carried the rushing yards load with 53 yards on 18 attempts.
Senior kicker/punter Gabriel Ballinas averaged 32.5 yards-per-punt, but more importantly kept the Hawks with their backs against the goal line with four punts inside the 20-yard line, with two of them resting inside the five-yard-line.
Marcuis Fulks gained 68 yards, but scored two touchdowns in the process. ASU racked up 435 yards of total offense in the win.
ASU will get right back to work as they prepare to face the red hot Valdosta State Blazers next Saturday(Sept. 18) at Bazemore-Hyder Stadium in Valdosta, GA.
Inside the numbers (10 takeaways from tonight’s game):
• Dionte Bonneau led the team in both rushing yards (68) and passing yards (242)
• Eight different receivers caught passes from Bonneau in the game
• Rashad Jordan had three kick returns for 85 yards, and three punt returns for 122 all-purpose yards
• ASU racked up 435 yards of total offense, which equates to 7.2 yards-per-play.
• ASU outgained SU on the ground by a margin of 157-68.
• The Golden Rams scored on 4-of05 Red Zone opportunities
• ASU picked off Shorter three times
• The ASU defense got four sacks for a total of 18 yards lost
• The Golden Rams scored in 1:18 in the game and never trailed
• Albany State scored two touchdowns rushing and two touchdowns passing
Print Friendly Version
DB 5′ 8″ 175 lbs Junior
QB 6′ 1″ 170 lbs Redshirt Sophomore
RB 5′ 10″ 190 lbs Freshman
LB 6′ 0″ 212 lbs Redshirt Junior
WR 6′ 0″ 180 lbs Redshirt Sophomore