Courtesy f Florida A&M Athletics
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. | With a six-match winning streak on the line, the Florida A&M volleyball team is off to Mississippi for action at Jackson State (Oct. 14) and Mississippi Valley State (Oct. 15). The much-anticipated bout versus the Tigers also highlights a rematch of the 2022 Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship, where FAMU defeated JSU, 3-2.
Friday, Oct. 14
at Jackson State (6-12, 5-1 SWAC) | 7 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. CT
Saturday, Oct. 15
Mississippi Valley State (1-14, 0-6 SWAC) | 1 p.m. ET / 12 p.m. CT
Both events will be live streamed.
Those Striking Rattlers
- FAMU (9-11, 6-0) is the only SWAC team currently undefeated in league play
- Florida A&M is coming off a 3-0 victory over Prairie View A&M; the decision captured the team’s 18th consecutive victory over a SWAC opponent
- The Rattlers claimed their first Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship title a season ago – in their inaugural season as league members
- Gokhan Yilmaz secured his 50th career win as a head coach in a 3-0 decision over Alcorn State (Oct. 10) last year; he compiled 17 in a single season at Charlotte (2014-15) and currently manages 55 at the helm of FAMU
- FAMU has recorded six straight-set wins this season (four against SWAC opponents)
- Dominique Washington, the SWAC’s reigning Player and Newcomer of the Year, guides the conference in kills (257); the grad is working 16-straight matches with 10-plus
- Washington also ranks 19th in the country in total attacks (779)
- Aja Jones possesses the best hitting percentage in the SWAC (.353) while Irem Ucar maintains the most assists (468)
- Ucar is the only athlete in the SWAC with 400 or more assists; she averages 9.75 per game
- Brooke Hudson leads the conference and ranks 31st in the nation in digs (330)
In just two seasons with the Green and Orange, Ucar sees her name listed amongst the Rattler greats in career assists. The red-shirt senior possess 1,664 at FAMU to rank fifth all-time.
1. Tracy Parker | 1993-96 | 4,960
2. Mariela Portocarrero | 2001-04 | 3,872
3. Delisha Peterson | 1999-02 | 2,725
4. Zaire Manzo | 2006-07 | 2,236
5. Irem Ucar | 2021-Present | 1,664
Washington is also less than 80 kills away from etching her name into FAMU’s record book as a Top 10 career leader. She already ranks 10th in total attacks (2,104).
1. Adriana Kostadinova | 2002-05 | 3,441
2. Maria Andonova | 2003-06 | 3,168
3. Jovana Blazeski | 2007-09 | 3,027
9. Kim Funchess | 1985-88 | 2,544
10. Dominique Washington | 2021-Present | 2,104
In The SWAC
As a team, Florida A&M ranks “Top 3” in several SWAC categories, including:
Hitting Percentage | .198 | Second
Assists | 848 | First
Assists Per Set | 11.31 | Second
Kills | 919 | First
Kills Per Set | 12.25 | Second
Total Blocks | 132.0 | First
Blocks Per Set | 1.76 | Third
Service Aces | 109 | Second
Digs | 1,054 | First
Digs Per Set | 14.05 | Second
SWAC Weekly Recognition
The Rattlers have secured 13 weekly awards this season. The most recent, announced Oct. 5, marked the second sweep of the season.
Brooke Hudson has received a team-best four weekly accolades, all defensive.
Newcomer of the Week – Brooke Lynn Watts