FULL WEEKLY NOTEBOOK
This weekend’s matchups:
*UAPB @ Southern
3 p.m./Baton Rouge, La.
*MVSU @ Alcorn State
3 p.m/Lorman, Miss.
*Jackson State @ Prairie View A&M
3 p.m./Prairie View, Texas
*Alabama State vs. Alabama A&M
3 p.m./Birmingham, Ala.
*Grambling State @ Texas Southern
5:30 p.m./Houston, Texas
*Jackson State @ Texas Southern
4 p.m./Houston, Texas
*UAPB @ Alcorn State
5:30 p.m./Lorman, Miss.
*MVSU @ Southern
5:30 p.m./Baton Rouge, La.
*Grambling State @ Prairie View A&M
5:30 p.m./Prairie View, Texas
Top Storylines, News and Notes:
- Alabama A&M sits atop league standings but has dropped three of its last four against in-state rival Alabama State. A familiar face will greet the Lady Hornets in transfer Kenya Pye, who was a solid contributor for last year’s ASU team. A balanced scoring unit, the Lady Bulldogs are the lone team in the SWAC that does not have a player averaging double-figures in scoring per game.
- Despite Grambling State’s run as one of the SWAC’s elite programs over the past couple of seasons, the Lady Tigers have found it tough sledding against Texas Southern. Grambling has dropped five of the last eight contests against TSU, but the most recent meeting – the 2018 SWAC tournament semifinals – went the way of Grambling.
- With an 88-point effort against Alcorn State, Jackson State has topped 88 points in three games this year. The top-scoring offense in the SWAC reached this mark three times all of last season. The Lady Tigers should be tested this weekend as they take on the No. 1 ranked scoring defense in the SWAC, Prairie View A&M.
- Texas Southern’s Niya Mitchell is averaging 3.86 offensive rebounds per game, a figure that ranks her inside the top-30 nationally. Mitchell is averaging 12.5 points and 10.2 rebounds per game over her last six outings.
- Mississippi Valley State has already equaled last season’s win total in conference play after improving to 2-1 against SWAC foes thanks to a 64-62 win over Alabama State. The Devilettes will look to surpass that win total against Alcorn State, but the Lady Braves have had Valley’s number lately, as MVSU has dropped six of its last seven against Alcorn.
- Head coach Freda Freeman-Jackson is the second active coach in the Southwestern Athletic Conference to have won 300 games. Sandy Pugh is the only other league coach who has crossed said milestone.