DENTON, Texas | The Grambling State University volleyball team concluded play in its season-opening weekend with a 3-0 loss to hosts North Texas in the North Texas Invite and the Mean Green volleyball Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
– The Mean Green (2-1) grabbed a 1-0 advantage in the match after taking the opening set, 25-13.
– North Texas finished the first set with 15 kills and just two attacking errors, while Grambling State had eight kills and three errors
– In the second set, Grambling State (0-3) registered 11 points and tallied five errors as UNT extended the lead to 2-0
– North Texas won the match, 3-0, after taking the third set, 25-13, as the Mean Green registered 12 kills and just one error in the third set
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
– Saige Rivers led the offensive attack for Grambling State with three kills and three block assists
– Sheila Borders recorded seven assists
– Defensively, Semira Fields, Jada Taylor and Rayven McKenzie each tallied three digs
– Grambling State finished with 16 kills and 23 errors in 80 total attacks
– Rhett Robinson led North Texas with 14 kills
– Katie Butler dished out a match-high 21 assists
– On the defensive side, Henrianna Ibarra finished with eight digs, while Kasey Bortnem added seven
– North Texas recorded 42 kills and 11 errors in 86 total attacks
– The Lady Tigers registered 16 digs, 12 assists, four total team blocks and four service aces
– The Mean Green tallied 37 digs, 29 assists, nine total team blocks and seven service aces
NEWS & NOTES
– Grambling State went 8-9 overall during the Spring 2021 COVID-19 season
– Jada Taylor was named the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) Preseason Libero/Defensive Player of the Year
– Grambling State was slated to have its home opener on Tuesday against Jarvis Christian, but that match has been cancelled
– The Lady Tigers’ 2021 home opener is now set for Tuesday, Sept. 7 against Centenary College.
Grambling State will play host to Centenary College for its home opener on Tuesday, Sept. 7. The match is set to begin at 6 p.m. at the Fredrick C. Hobdy Assembly Center and will be the first of back-to-back home contests for the Lady Tigers. GSU will face Northwestern State on Wednesday, Sept. 8.