Courtesy of Kevin Albarez, Assistant Sport Information Director, Texas Southern Athletics
W: Jazmine Gendorf (5-5) L: Valadez, Anabella (1-10)
BATON ROUGE, La. – Southern and Texas Southern flashed the leather in a tremendous defensive effort to open the Southwestern Athletic Conference play at Lady Jaguar Field on Monday afternoon.
TSU would come away with a 2-1 victory.
Southern dropped to 8-26 overall and 4-9 in SWAC play. Texas Southern improved to 9-17 and 6-7 in league play.
Southern 1, Texas Southern 2
W: J. Gendorf (5-5) L: Anabella Valadez (1-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Texas Southern got the leadoff runner on and got her over to third with two outs, but Anabella Valadez stuck out the cleanup batter to end the threat. Southern would get a leadoff single but was unable to get anything else going.
- TSU would threaten again in the second after a two-out triple, but the next batter would ground out to end the top half of the inning. The Lady Jaguars would once again get a leadoff single but would not be able to get any runner across.
- Texas Southern got on the board first with a back-to-back hits in the third to give them a 1-0 advantage.
- The Tigers would get runners on second and third in the top of the fourth but Raquel Lattawould induce a ground ball to Alissa Castanedato end the threat. Asia George would get her second hit of the game, this time a double to left field. Southern would strand the runner at third to end the inning.
- Texas Southern got a leadoff single to open the fifth that would lead to the Tigers scoring to increase the lead to 2-0. Southern would get a hit by Jaeslyn Frazier in the bottom half and Blair Willis would pinch run and steal second, but would get stranded.
- Southern would get on the board in the sixth. After a leadoff double by Castaneda, she would advance to third and then score on a wild pitch, cutting the lead to 2-1.
- The Lady Jaguars would not be able to get anything going in the bottom of the seventh.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU outhit Southern 9-7.
- Neither team committed an error in the game.
- Southern would leave four runners stranded and TSU left eight on base.
- Southern drew one walk and struck out two times.
- George, Valadez and Castaneda collected two hits apiece. George and Valadez were 2-for-3 and Castaneda was 2-for-2.
- Pam Richardson led Texas Southern at the plate, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
The Lady Jaguars will finish out the series against Texas Southern with a doubleheader on Tuesday. The first game is scheduled to start at noon with the second game beginning 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first game.
Next Game: Texas Southern University 4/11/2023 | 12:00 PM