Courtesy of Winston-Salem State Athletics
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. –Winston-Salem State University defeated Johnson C. Smith 28-7, Saturday afternoon at Bowman Gray Stadium.
The Rams move to (3-5, 3-3 CIAA), while the Golden Bulls fall to (2-6, 2-5 CIAA). WSSU has now beaten JCSU 27 times in a row.
- The Rams’ defense was huge for WSSU keeping Johnson C. Smith scoreless through the first half.
- With 4:38 remaining in the third quarter, Trevor Willard forced a JCSU fumble and Kairon Martin recovered to score a touchdown. The extra point was good and gave the Rams a 7-0 lead.
- Jackson ran for a 3-yard run, and with the extra point, the Rams lead 14-0 with 53 seconds left in the third quarter over JCSU.
- JCSU cut into the Rams’ lead with 9:23 left in the fourth quarter on a quarterback rub by Robert Adams.
- With 9:06 remaining in the fourth quarter Narique Smith had an 85-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and with the extra kick from Ivan Caro the Rams went up 28-7.
- With 3:36 left to play Jaylen Gulatte-Ferbee had a 35-yard interception to seal the deal for the Rams.
Inside the Numbers
- The Rams rushed for 116 yards and 68 passing.
- Defensively, the Rams held Johnson C. Smith to 94 rushing yards and 117 passing for a total of 211 yards.
- The Rams also had three interceptions on the day.
- Nicholas “Bryce” Jackson was 10-for-16 passing and he rushed nine times for 34 yards with one touchdown.
- JahTwan Stafford rushed 19 times for-64-yards, and Trevon Hester rushed four times for 10-yards.
- Jashan Rankin had seven tackles, three unassisted, and one tackle for loss.
- Trevor Willar and Elijah Banks had five tackles, three unassisted.
The Rams are back in action on Saturday, November 5th hosting Fayetteville State for senior day. Game time is scheduled for 4 p.m.